who we are
LifeLine is a Biblically-based support group for parents whose children experience same sex attraction, identify themselves as gay or bisexual, or are dealing with gender identity issues. LifeLine is open to all parents in the greater Austin area, regardless of church affiliation.
LifeLine exists to be a caring, burden-bearing community where parents can openly share their stories and struggles in a safe and confidential environment.LifeLine encourages parents to have an authentic, on-going, loving relationship with their child, utilizing as the foundation of that relationship Truth and Grace.LifeLine aims to help parents experience a life of peace and joy as they navigate this difficult journey of living in the tension of conviction and compassion.LifeLine inspires parents to pray that God will fully engage the heart of their child, as well as their own hearts, because each person’s walk with God is of the utmost importance.
why lifeline is essential
There are many parents in the Body of Christ who are suffering in silence and anonymity because their child struggles with sexual brokenness. These parents need a community in which they can receive love, encouragement, and Christian fellowship in the midst of these unique and difficult trials. And it is essential that such a community is a “knowing community” … one that understands first-hand the struggle of having a child with these issues.
God did not make people to bear life’s burdens alone. Not only are we to cast our burdens on the Lord (Psalm 55:22 – “Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you.”), but we as Jesus-followers are to bear one another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2 – “Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ.”)
- Our world can be a hard-hearted place and few people have either the desire or the understanding to deal with same-sex attraction and gender identity issues. Further, few Christians are equipped to empathize with parents facing these issues with their children, and even fewer have any idea about how to relate and extend love to persons struggling with these feelings. As Christians, we are commanded by Jesus to love those around us with His supernatural love. That is what we endeavor to do in LifeLine. (John 13:34-35 – “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”)
- As part of Jesus’ command to love one another, we encourage parents to love their child with an authentic, genuine, and never-ending, always pursing kind of love … even in the face of their child’s life choices with which they disagree.
- Part of the burden parents carry are powerful feelings of failure, shame, guilt, anger, sadness, and loss. These feelings can lead to despair and hopelessness. We are called to help restore (through the power of the Holy Spirit) our brothers and sisters to a state of peace and joy. (Psalm 23:3 – “He restores my soul.”)
LifeLine was started by 3 couples in May of 2014. All 3 couples have children who are gay and formed the ministry in order to come alongside parents facing similar issues. The Senior Pastor of LifeAustin, Randy Phillips, along with the Men’s Pastor, RT Phillips, were instrumental in getting LifeLine started.
What We Belive.
- We believe in the traditional, Biblical view of marriage – that being a holy union between one man and one woman. Gen. 2:21-25 & I Cor. 7:2
- We believe the Bible teaches that sex outside this God-ordained union is a sin. Heb. 13:4
- We believe that all people are created in the image of God, have intrinsic worth, and are worthy of respect. Gen. 1:26-27
- We believe that all people are born with a sin nature and are broken (particularly sexually). Rom. 3:23 & 7:14-16
- We believe that sexual feelings/attractions are not a matter of choice. Same-sex feelings and opposite sex feelings are not sinful, in and of themselves, as long as they do not turn into lust. Matt. 5:27-28
- We believe that temptation is common to all humankind. Every person is imperfect, and most are sexually broken because of original sin and the work of Satan to distort God's original and perfect design for sex and marriage. I Cor. 10:13
- We believe that acting on one’s sexual desires/temptations is when wrongdoing (sin) in the sight of God occurs. I Thess. 4:2-8
- We believe all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God and that God does not rank sin. Therefore, He looks at sexual acts outside of Biblical marriage between persons of the same sex in the same light as He looks upon sexual acts between persons of the opposite sex. Matt. 11:23-24
- We believe that our calling as Christ-followers is to shine His Light (Truth) and His Love (Grace – Mercy – Compassion) to a broken world in desperate need of hope, transformation, and reconciliation to God. Matt. 5:16
- We believe that those who struggle with same sex attraction or who have embraced a gay or transgender identity can be transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit and find freedom to live a life pleasing to God. This freedom is available to all people who struggle with sexual sin issues. Rom. 8:26-27
Starting a LifeLine Group.
Starting a LifeLine requires a call on your life, a call from God to step in the gap and help others who are walking down the same path. LifeLine is not merely a small group. It is a support group whose purpose is to uplift and encourage parents with LBGT children. A person who starts a LifeLine group must be someone who not only hears God’s call, but who has educated themselves in all aspects of this issue. For a couple to lead such a group also requires a calling and a heart for pastoral ministry. Leaders do not teach but facilitate sharing and discussion. If you have a desire to get a LifeLine started, we will come alongside you and help you in any way we can. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.